#1 Upstream Nymphing

Upstream Nymphing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

hey I was planing a striper trip at the end of the week or somtime next week, i was wondering would they still be around? or is that late for them, i dunno anything about it or how long they are in for.

#2 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

hey I was planing a striper trip at the end of the week or somtime next week, i was wondering would they still be around? or is that late for them, i dunno anything about it or how long they are in for.

the stripers are just getting out and about to the bay now....only gonna get better from now on...
FYI make sure you have a measuring tape because they have to be 27" long and over to keep one....your only allowed to keep one a day, have a 9ft rod with at least 20-30lb test, I prefer 30lb Power Pro braid. Get some striper rigs at Walmart or CDN Tire 2 or 3 ounce weight are good and get some #8 octopus hooks...bigger the better....get some bait for ex: herring, mackeral, gaspereau etc........keep your bait in a cooler and a way ya go. Biggest thing is to be PATIENT!
Make sure you check the tide chart for what ever area your going to....be there in time to catch the incoming and or outgoing tide. ;)
Well I gave up "SMOKIN" "DRINKIN" & "FISHIN" last night & it was the worst 15 minutes of my life

#3 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

the stripers are just getting out and about to the bay now....only gonna get better from now on...
FYI make sure you have a measuring tape because they have to be 27" long and over to keep one....your only allowed to keep one a day, have a 9ft rod with at least 20-30lb test, I prefer 30lb Power Pro braid. Get some striper rigs at Walmart or CDN Tire 2 or 3 ounce weight are good and get some #8 octopus hooks...bigger the better....get some bait for ex: herring, mackeral, gaspereau etc........keep your bait in a cooler and a way ya go. Biggest thing is to be PATIENT!
Make sure you check the tide chart for what ever area your going to....be there in time to catch the incoming and or outgoing tide. ;)

Looks like great advice from YAMAMOTO! Being PATIENT is sure a good recommendation. Have a great trip
Paul

#4 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

Just to add to this question, I've only gone once or twice and I was a bit younger so my father did all the work.. Do I just put the bait on the hook and cast it out as far as I can then let the tide roll it around the bottom and wait for a fish?

Also would it be good to use multiple hooks?

Posted Image

#5 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

just thought i would add that your possession limit is the same as the bag limit
once you get one legally your not aloud to keep another while the fish is still in your possession
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

Just to add to this question, I've only gone once or twice and I was a bit younger so my father did all the work.. Do I just put the bait on the hook and cast it out as far as I can then let the tide roll it around the bottom and wait for a fish?

Also would it be good to use multiple hooks?

Billy, it is best to use a 2 hook rig because basically it doubles your chances. As far as casting, throw it out and let it sit until they bite, try out deeper and try in closer because stripers feed all over the place....use enough weight so the tide doesn't drag it around. It's better to keep the bait infront of you the best ya can because at times it gets pretty busy and sometimes shoulder to shoulder and it makes it alot easier if your not rolling with the tide and getting tangled up with the guy beside you..lol. Plus if it is a big tide your bait will roll right into shore. I usually use a 3 ounce weight and add more if i need it. ;)
Well I gave up "SMOKIN" "DRINKIN" & "FISHIN" last night & it was the worst 15 minutes of my life

#7 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

just thought i would add that your possession limit is the same as the bag limit
once you get one legally your not aloud to keep another while the fish is still in your possession

;)

#8 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

Billy, it is best to use a 2 hook rig because basically it doubles your chances. As far as casting, throw it out and let it sit until they bite, try out deeper and try in closer because stripers feed all over the place....use enough weight so the tide doesn't drag it around. It's better to keep the bait infront of you the best ya can because at times it gets pretty busy and sometimes shoulder to shoulder and it makes it alot easier if your not rolling with the tide and getting tangled up with the guy beside you..lol. Plus if it is a big tide your bait will roll right into shore. I usually use a 3 ounce weight and add more if i need it. ;)

Thanks for the tips! :)
Posted Image

#9 Upstream Nymphing

Upstream Nymphing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationPictou county

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info people, Do i have to use bait?, would lures be just as effective? Im going this saterday and buddy that was supposed to get me mackeral and alewifes never called me back yet. I have all kinds of rapala's plugs and spinbaits, i also flyfish but my fly rod is nowheres near geared for stripers.

#10 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

ya you definately want to take some kind of fish for bait ;)

#11 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

Upstream Nymphing, just go out to a place close to you on the ocean (salt water) that has a public wharf. You will be able to catch mackerel and herring at the moment....so technically you will not have to wait for anyone. Get a mackerel jig and maybe a few feathers and cast till you have enough bait for you striper trip! :) PS> If you are not catching anything on feathers and a jig, take the feathers off and use simply a single jig and you will have better luck, but you will need to catch one at a time that way (better than none!).
Trav

#12 The Salmon Slinger

The Salmon Slinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

if you have caught and kept a keeper you are not even allowed to fish until you take it or drop it off at home. So if you have a keeper dont get caught still on the beach fishing. :(

#13 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

..............................................................................................................................

#14 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

actually, DFO told us that if you catch 1 and keep it, your still allowed to catch and release if you please...

#15 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

if you have caught and kept a keeper you are not even allowed to fish until you take it or drop it off at home. So if you have a keeper dont get caught still on the beach fishing. :(

I've never heard of this?You can still fish and release.

#16 The Salmon Slinger

The Salmon Slinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

I've never heard of this?You can still fish and release.

It depends on what warden you run into and what kind of mood he is in. If he wanted to yes he can give you a fine but they usually dont say anything

#17 striperdon

striperdon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationwalton hants county

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

i wish the wardens would come to the beaches of walton as i have seen dozens of illegal fish being caught and taken in the last week one group had a allied moving truck and stayed for 4 days catching and putting in freezer i seen them hiding the fish under the crib work on the wharf till they were done fishing and kept everything they caught and it really pisses me off as i only keep large fish Cheers,,, Don

#18 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

i wish the wardens would come to the beaches of walton as i have seen dozens of illegal fish being caught and taken in the last week one group had a allied moving truck and stayed for 4 days catching and putting in freezer i seen them hiding the fish under the crib work on the wharf till they were done fishing and kept everything they caught and it really pisses me off as i only keep large fish Cheers,,, Don

STRIPERDON,

Why on earth did you not report them immediately, rather than watch them for 4 days?

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

#19 striperdon

striperdon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationwalton hants county

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

STRIPERDON,

Why on earth did you not report them immediately, rather than watch them for 4 days?

James

i did make a call but seen nothing of them

#20 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

i did make a call but seen nothing of them

Unbelievable!!

You fish that area much? I intend to spend much of August fishing Noel, Walton and Tennycape. If you want to I would be happy to meet up there some time.

Cheers,

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users