25 replies to this topic

#1 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys, I'm making my first trip to the Margaree this summer for some salmon fishing. Been looking at the regs and they say the river is closed year round upstream from the big intervale bridge. Just curious why they might close that section as I've never fished the river before and I've actually never been back there before either. Thanks

#2 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

Hey guys, I'm making my first trip to the Margaree this summer for some salmon fishing. Been looking at the regs and they say the river is closed year round upstream from the big intervale bridge. Just curious why they might close that section as I've never fished the river before and I've actually never been back there before either. Thanks

Conservation reasons , gives the fish a safe haven . And probably the only reason why Margaree is as good as she is . Same as Trout brook off of lake anslie , it holds huge trout and you can only fish about 200 yards of the brook 100 yards above , and 100 yards below...artificial fly only . Seems to be working ;)

#3 kenman35

kenman35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

Theres been quite a few brown trout and striped bass caught in the river nowa days too.

#4 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

Oh I see that's good to hear it's well protected! And when you say 100 yards above and below trout brook are you talking about a bridge?

#5 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Oh I see that's good to hear it's well protected! And when you say 100 yards above and below trout brook are you talking about a bridge?

Yes its right off the road heading to Margaree from Lake Ainsle . They have a rope laced across for the really stupid people , as well as bouy's on the mouth of it going into the lake ....in between the rope and bouy's is fly fishing only ....above the rope is zero fishing at all . Pretty awesome to see how well it works .

#6 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

Yea I'll have to check it out. I'm trying to picture what you just said... I can fish down from the bouy's at the lake down to the rope across the river? And if that's the case how can I not fish above the rope? I think I lost you a bit lol

#7 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

The rope is above the bridge and the bouys(In the out flow , going into lake Anslie) are below . The bouys are to keep the boaters from coming in and spin fishing the mouth of it with bait and lures . It is fly fishing only between the rope and bouys , above the rope is zero fishing of any method , below the bouys out in the lake is fair game .

#8 caper40

caper40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

how was the fishing at trout brook last year are the bass in the brook

#9 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

The bass have to be in there , I caught them below the bridge 4 years ago in the channel . The fishing was okay when I was there .

#10 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Oh ok so the brook runs into the lake.. Was under the impression it was flowing out, that makes sense thanks!

#11 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

My question to someone who knows the area better than I

the regs talk about East Margaree but I can't find that on the map.

I see North East Margaree but is that the same as East Margaree?

Thanks

Paul

#12 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

East Margaree is down low in the river where it feeds into the Margaree Harbour . Its from The Cabot Trail Bridge up to the forks (More less called Margaree River). After the forks it turns to North East Margaree . But The North East and East Margaree are the same if you were paddling it . The South West Margaree comes out of Lake Ainslie and meets North East Margaree to make Margaree River .

#13 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

Thanks StripperGuide - makes sense now!

Depends on where you are looking from.

What about Belle Cote Beach. Is that a good stripper spot?

Have a good year

Paul

#14 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Any cove in Cape Breton have stripers in them , we seem to hit them better coming on dar k tho , but I only fished them a handful of times

#15 zymtoot

zymtoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

Are stripers a spring running fish? Like April? I am going to go swing a few flies in the Ree when she opens up probably April 18th.I really dont care if i touch/see a fish i just have to swing a fly before i completely crack up from this long damn winter.

#16 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

They spawn in their river in late spring then migrate out , you will not really see stripers in the river till the gasperaux come running in June , but the 18th of April you will hook some beautiful fish !

#17 JSG949

JSG949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Speaking of gasperaux, do they interfere with the salmon fishing at all? I'll be up there late june, if they'll still be there or not I'm not sure but I know that trout fishing can be tedious sometimes when the gasperaux are abundant. I've fished salmon on the mainland where the season opens in September so I haven't had any encounters with gasperaux while salmon fishing.

#18 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

For sure they do , but salmon will take when they are ready .

#19 H & W Fishing Team

H & W Fishing Team

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

Anyone going to Margaree this weekend?

Save the Experience,Save the Fish.

#20 Bassman

Bassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hey all, anyone have a river/fish report yet?  I assume there's plenty of water after all the rain we just got, not to mention I'm sure there's still snow melt.  Anyone hook any salmon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users