12 replies to this topic

#1 TrevorMac

TrevorMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

So I forgot about this fourm site and was trying to find a type of fish I caught last year but no where I look can I find anything like what this was, I was fishing a freshwater river and caught a smaller black fish with red on its side. Now Ive never seen anything like this and the other other fish that could give you an idea is a small bluegill. But it was solid black with a red line on its side. Never seen anything like this, I dropped it before i could get a picture but has anyone ever caught something similar to this or have an ideas what it could be?

#2 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Did it look like this....

http://urbanflyventu...08/09/30/oscar/

#3 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

exactly what i was thinking. The Kywanas pond in truro is full of semi-tropical fish and you would be suprised what will survive the winters here. I've kept Oscars along with other meat eating cichlids and if they were to get into our rivers, it would be worse then smallmouth. Thankfully, although they can survive the winters here there need near 35 degree water temp to spawn. Ive heard Oscars are tasty! P.S. Try to drop it on the bank next time ;)

#4 TrevorMac

TrevorMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

Nope not an oscar fish. It had a red dot on the side but it was very very red almost like a cherry red.

#5 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

Pumpkinseed Sunfish?

Young_pumpkinseed_sunfish.jpg

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#6 TrevorMac

TrevorMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

similar size but it was black and a very very bright red spot

#7 mikez

mikez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHead Jeddore

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

If it's one of these he's a long way from home http://novascotiafis...e/7297-red-ear/

#8 TrevorMac

TrevorMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Mikez that is exactly what it looked like. Red spot was a bit larger but thats the fish,

#9 mikez

mikez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHead Jeddore

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

Yikes

That's a red eared sunfish

"Redear sunfish are native to North Carolina and Florida west to south Illinois and south Missouri, and south to the Rio Grande drainage

However, this fish has also been widely introduced to other locations in the United States outside of its native range". (so says Wikipedia)

Hopefully it's a fish tank escapee and not further evidence of the activities of the bucket brigade

Probably inhabits most of the same niche as White Perch

#10 scottw

scottw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, NS

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

Where was it caught?

#11 TrevorMac

TrevorMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

scottw caught in black river pictou county

#12 stevebourque

stevebourque

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:45 PM

Had a few thoughts.

I wouldn't ask for your exact fishing spot or anything but can I ask the name of the River you were fishng? Should someone report this to DNR so they could look into it this spring?

Also is it possible that Pumpkinseed Sunfish and Redbreasted Sunfish (the other species in NB) come in darker colors sometimes too. Those 2 would be the closest species to us and it is entirely possible that someone transported them here from NB.they can be caught as close as Rockwood park in Saint John as well as the SJ River. With that said I hear the Redear sunfish is present in Ontario via illegal intro so it could probably quite easily survivie here or be illegally transported here.

Oscars are from South America and couldn't survivie a winter here. They could get released in late sping/summer and live a few months but they would die when the really coldweather hit. The fish in Kiwanis are coldwater Goldfish and Koi, fish related to Carp.

Could it have been an unusally large Dace or some kind of sucker? Some of these have red coloration on them? Or did your fish have sharp spines like a sunfish?

Could it have been a Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark (http://aqualandpetsp...d Chinese.htm)? The males get red coloration in the breeding season and when first turning it could show up as a red patch or spot on the fish before the whole body takes on that red coloration.They are for sale around here and can handle coldwater.read something online a few years ago about a couple surviving a winter in a Idaho pond.

#13 TrevorMac

TrevorMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Steve I was fishing the black river in Pictou County towards west branch/river john. If you look at the picture mikez posted the fish look very very similar to that just the red spot was a bit larger, ive never seen anything like this but have yet to catch anything like it again and fish the same area regularly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users