154 replies to this topic

#21 The Salmon Slinger

The Salmon Slinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

Yep I tried shrimp, but i think it's mostly the tommycod and eels chewing at it....

well I pulled in a few 20"ers off the shrimp, they hammered the hooks over and over again and didnt touch the Mac i had on the other hooks

#22 YAMAMOTO

YAMAMOTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

well I pulled in a few 20"ers off the shrimp, they hammered the hooks over and over again and didnt touch the Mac i had on the other hooks

ya still to early to use mackeral there not running yet and the stripers are not biting it yet....try herring or gaspereau ;)
Well I gave up "SMOKIN" "DRINKIN" & "FISHIN" last night & it was the worst 15 minutes of my life

#23 JHG

JHG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

9' rods 20 to 30lb mono "I use 30lbs power pro" 60lbs striper rigs 3 to 5oz weights

Mizmo,

Where did you get the 9' rod? The striper rig, is that the types sold in Wal-mart and Fishing Fever?

Recently returned from living and fishing in West Africa... Adventures in Ghana

#24 brandonandstacey

brandonandstacey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

Im from New Glasgow and was up to Bass River tonight no luck thou where do u guys fish at , i was on warf rd just fishing along the inlet there , when is the best time to fish , lures , and best spots ..thatnks in advance Happy Fishing

#25 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

A friend and I are looking to try surf fishing in the Bay of Fundy. If anyone knows of any decent spots, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks,

J

I don't agree at all with people giving out spots on an open forum.There are Bass all through the Bay.If you are new to fishing in general that's different, just look for parked vehicles.Get yourself a map and scout the bay at low tide, looking for structure to fish.Good maps will show all access roads to the Bay.Asking what to use is a different story.Learning how, and where to fish is all part of the game!

#26 JHG

JHG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

I don't agree at all with people giving out spots on an open forum.There are Bass all through the Bay.If you are new to fishing in general that's different, just look for parked vehicles.Get yourself a map and scout the bay at low tide, looking for structure to fish.Good maps will show all access roads to the Bay.Asking what to use is a different story.Learning how, and where to fish is all part of the game!

I understand your position, however to someone who is not from the area and is new to that type of fishing then I don't see the harm. One can choose to be as general or as specific as they like. I wasn't asking for someone's sacred "fishing hole". One can send a personal message to the poster if they wish to help. On the learning aspect... having coached both amateur and elite athletes I'll say that part of the learning process is the explaining, assisting and then doing. Thanks for informing me that there are bass "all through the Bay" - I actually didn't know that. :P

#27 Nemo

Nemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

I understand your position, however to someone who is not from the area and is new to that type of fishing then I don't see the harm. One can choose to be as general or as specific as they like. I wasn't asking for someone's sacred "fishing hole". One can send a personal message to the poster if they wish to help. On the learning aspect... having coached both amateur and elite athletes I'll say that part of the learning process is the explaining, assisting and then doing. Thanks for informing me that there are bass "all through the Bay" - I actually didn't know that. :P

Anyone try the Gaspereaux yet?

#28 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:32 AM

Sounded like it to me in your first post"Does any one Know of a decent fishin spot"?Learning is learning hoe to fish and what to use.Get a map, and look for spots in the bay around the Truro area, that's close for you.Lots of good places to fish there.The Bay is the spot.learning= studying the Bay at low tide.This isn't football, in case you didn't know that either

#29 reg

reg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Sounded like it to me in your first post"Does any one Know of a decent fishin spot"?Learning is learning hoe to fish and what to use.Get a map, and look for spots in the bay around the Truro area, that's close for you.Lots of good places to fish there.The Bay is the spot.learning= studying the Bay at low tide.This isn't football, in case you didn't know that either

Lots of people fish at 5 Island park area. You may want to try that area.

#30 JHG

JHG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Not footbal? Really? It's still a sport, i.e. sportfishing, and like any sport one needs coaching. It's as simple as that. Nobody was born knowing where to, or how to fish. Based on your previous responses, it would be simpler perhaps if you didn't bother replying to my posts as you have a different mindset and it's obvious we don't agree in this area. I'm not here to bicker but to enjoy one of my past-times with other like-minded sportfishermen.

Thanks,

J

PS: Thanks for the suggestion Reg. :)

#31 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Not footbal? Really? It's still a sport, i.e. sportfishing, and like any sport one needs coaching. It's as simple as that. Nobody was born knowing where to, or how to fish. Based on your previous responses, it would be simpler perhaps if you didn't bother replying to my posts as you have a different mindset and it's obvious we don't agree in this area. I'm not here to bicker but to enjoy one of my past-times with other like-minded sportfishermen.

Thanks,

J

PS: Thanks for the suggestion Reg. :)

Let's start over!I'm not bickering. I tried to help you in my last post.And it is nothin personal, it's just so many people[and I'm not pointin the finger!]want a "spot".I spent 6 hours yesterday alone, and $60 in gas scoutin the surf at low tide.I'm always willing to help a fellow angler.Like mentioned before, there's some good fishin around Truro, it's close for you.Some access roads require a 4x4.There are probably people fishin there now, but I don't start in this area until the end of June.If your time is limited, get there 2 hours before high tide,and you'll see people settin up, and arriving.Most anglers are pretty good hearted, and as long as you keep a reasonable distance you'll have no trouble.Some will help you, some will purposely point you in the wrong direction!If you have the time stay after the tide is gone back out;this is the time for scoutin.In some areas they'll be no structure or changes on the bottom whatsoever.In these areas you're relying totally on your bait to call fish.A chum bag can be a big help to draw baitfish to your area.An old onion sack with old cut-up fish parts will surely draw in the eels and Tomcod.Throw it out as far as you can, and let it sit while you fish.You can keep it at your spot under some rocks when you go home.If you put in the time, you should be able to find at least some type of structure to fish.Look for Deep holes,rock piles,rips on the ocean floor,grass beds,etc.Areas where a flowage meets the Bay are often good producers.Any ??????? I'll help you.I never meant to come across the wrong way.It's just like I've been sayin, some people want somethin for nothin!LOL

#32 fisherdan1

fisherdan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

JHG, anywhere along the shore in Bass River or Economy should be good fishing for you. Nole Shore might be a little closer for you though. I was in Economy a few weekends ago and caught a small one but it was a bit early yet and it was freezing. You can buy the surf poles at Walmart or Can Tire for about $50-60 and they sell the rigs as well.

Good luck!

Dan

#33 The Salmon Slinger

The Salmon Slinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

OMG who cares its tidal water, its not like its a secret pool in the middle of the woods. And yes the bass just cruise along the coast riding the tide in and out. Bass River/Saints R , Parsborro Shore, and basicly any point and inlet between. lol and if you dont like me telling "secret spot" theres a negative icon on the right of this post give it a click <_<

#34 The Salmon Slinger

The Salmon Slinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

JHG, anywhere along the shore in Bass River or Economy should be good fishing for you. Nole Shore might be a little closer for you though. I was in Economy a few weekends ago and caught a small one but it was a bit early yet and it was freezing. You can buy the surf poles at Walmart or Can Tire for about $50-60 and they sell the rigs as well.

Good luck!

Dan

Make sure they are Saltwater reels tho. someoff the product they get in are not for saltwater so you have to clean the reel when you get home from fishing.

#35 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

OMG who cares its tidal water, its not like its a secret pool in the middle of the woods. And yes the bass just cruise along the coast riding the tide in and out. Bass River/Saints R , Parsborro Shore, and basicly any point and inlet between. lol and if you dont like me telling "secret spot" theres a negative icon on the right of this post give it a click <_< nothing wrong with the descrition of those areas.It's just some people want"drive down this road then take a left, walk...etc,etc.Half of the fun is finding the spot.

#36 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

I can see where you're coming from, there were extensive debates regarding this subject on the previous site.
At one time ( maybe 5 years ago ) there didn't seem to be near as many people fishing stripers, now it seems pretty hard to find a quiet place on a nice day. But, big fish that fight hard and no licence required....and not usually much bushwacking either. No wonder it got popular.

I'm from the same thought process you are..... I spend almost as much time exploring as fishing. And you're right, a map, a compass and some common sense are about all thats needed to find a productive fishing spot. Half of the fun, especially when trout fishing, is finding a little gem of a spot that has great fish because nobody else has bothered to try to get to it. Most of the time they're closer than people think.

IMHO teaching someone what to use for bait/lures, or what kind of habitat certain fish live in is great. That by itself should be enough information for a motivated person.

#37 fisherdan1

fisherdan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

I agree about not giving up your honey holes but when it comes to the BOF I think it's ok to tell people where there are general easy access areas so they can give it a try.

#38 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

I can see where you're coming from, there were extensive debates regarding this subject on the previous site.
At one time ( maybe 5 years ago ) there didn't seem to be near as many people fishing stripers, now it seems pretty hard to find a quiet place on a nice day. But, big fish that fight hard and no licence required....and not usually much bushwacking either. No wonder it got popular.

I'm from the same thought process you are..... I spend almost as much time exploring as fishing. And you're right, a map, a compass and some common sense are about all thats needed to find a productive fishing spot. Half of the fun, especially when trout fishing, is finding a little gem of a spot that has great fish because nobody else has bothered to try to get to it. Most of the time they're closer than people think.

IMHO teaching someone what to use for bait/lures, or what kind of habitat certain fish live in is great. That by itself should be enough information for a motivated person.

Well said....we're a team!LOL.It doesn't hurt that Stripers are such good eatin either.I agree totally, if someone has the passion for the sport, they'll eat of everything they can on the subject.

#39 NBmudman

NBmudman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

I agree about not giving up your honey holes but when it comes to the BOF I think it's ok to tell people where there are general easy access areas so they can give it a try.

Only problem is a % of people will abuse the info.I've showed people spots , and went back to fish, and what did I find?garbage everywhere, broken bottles etc.Basic info, no problem, if someone what detailed info., they should want it bad enough to work for it.IMO :)

#40 fisherdan1

fisherdan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

I was fishing in Stewiacke a while back and there was at least half a dozen broken beer bottles in a small campfire right on the edge of the water...some people just have no respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users