2 replies to this topic

#1 Bass_Slayer

Bass_Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

I work near Truro, and was talkin to a fella who just started at my work place. He is from brookfeild near stewiake and we got talkin fishing. Hes lived there his who life and apparently there is a Farmer with a fish pond near Birch hill area who made and stocked his pond 35 years ago with Pickeral from Maine. The pond which is about a half acre is 200 yards from the Stewiake and right on a flood plain. I always wondered if they escaped from Shortts or Grand, but the pickeral in Grand really only started showing up about 10 years ago. Do you think its possible over 25 years that the pickeral made it to grand from Birch hill? Im not sure if the pickeral would try to navigate the tidal water or if it is a differnt population?

#2 fivepoundtrout

fivepoundtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

I work near Truro, and was talkin to a fella who just started at my work place. He is from brookfeild near stewiake and we got talkin fishing. Hes lived there his who life and apparently there is a Farmer with a fish pond near Birch hill area who made and stocked his pond 35 years ago with Pickeral from Maine. The pond which is about a half acre is 200 yards from the Stewiake and right on a flood plain. I always wondered if they escaped from Shortts or Grand, but the pickeral in Grand really only started showing up about 10 years ago. Do you think its possible over 25 years that the pickeral made it to grand from Birch hill? Im not sure if the pickeral would try to navigate the tidal water or if it is a differnt population?

This is the statement that makes all the difference, right there. This is not true, pickerel have been in grand for much longer(around 25 years+), and have been in this province longer still(were talking 75 years here in the yarmouth area). Now in recent years I think the spread has been expedited, for example where I live on lake charles(part of the shubie system, highest lake in the chain several above grand) 2 years ago I would have told you they dont exist there, whereas as of last year they re everywehre, two feet long in my backyard.

Im not sure why they seem to be speeding up their takeover of this province in the last ten years, but I think itll only get worse. I wish we were being taken over by massive carp or something myself :P

#3 Shimanoman

Shimanoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationWaverley, Nova Scotia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

fivepoundtrout,

I suspect that the water conditions last spring & early summer (high water) contributed to the migration of a lot of mature Chain Pickerel into Lake Charles.  They have been in Lake William for probably 15 years

Regards....

Life is too short, to take too much, too seriously, for too long ....Vernon P.Fraser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users