#1 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

I tried pickerel fishing on Shortt's Lake today and didn't get a bite.

Not sure if it was just bad luck or if I was doing something wrong. I Read on here that a good spot to fish is to the right of the boat launch by the inlet swamp. Is that by the mailboxes there, as soon as you get to the lake via Shortt's Lake Rd?

That's where we were. We used a jig head with a Mister Twister on it, one was bright green with sparkles in it (lol) and the other was a pink/white one. Tried all difference depths in the hole, different actions etc. Cut a second hole a bit deeper (one was 20yd from shore other was 60yd)

We were in the little cove by the swamp/mailboxes I mentioned. Had 4-6' of water under us, which is what I found was best for pickerel in the summer (at a different lake)

Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice/tips.
Posted Image

#2 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

i get most of my winter picks in 10ft of water or more
you can find them anywhere but myself i like to target structure near the deeper water
shortts lake
im not sure if this is the right lake
but if it is
if i was gonna fish it and i might :) i would try to find the deep hole
then try to fish over the underwater point the 11 mark on the map
then from there onto level looking area north of the deep water
if i didnt produce any fish after that i would have to rethink
but thats where i would start
mind you thats just me and others would probably approach the lake differently

oh yeah try tiping your jig with a piece of smelt
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

Thanks a lot for the advice Shienar. I looked at where I was, and it was the tiny cove on the south-east side of the lake, no good I guess!

Thanks for the map too, didn't know they had all those maps online. That's really helpful.
Posted Image

#4 trouter

trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationColchester County

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:41 AM

Hey guys;

The area I was speaking of is at the south end of the lake( based on Shienars map) It is the first little area to the right(the third T) but out far enough from shore where the water depth does start to go deeper. I have had sucess all over the lake though. Pickerel in the wintertime will still cruise most of the lake but seem to mostly go where the ground just starts to drop off. I find the swampy areas the best since this provides the pickerel with alot of cover to be able to ambush other fish.

As for bait I have had luck with the same type gear as you used but I find the gulp alive leeches seem to catch me the most fish there.

There are also some nice smallmouth in the lake and they mostly tend to be in the area described by Shienar. I am going out today so I will let you know if I have any luck and in what areas of the lake.

#5 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

Hey guys;

The area I was speaking of is at the south end of the lake( based on Shienars map) It is the first little area to the right(the third T) but out far enough from shore where the water depth does start to go deeper. I have had sucess all over the lake though. Pickerel in the wintertime will still cruise most of the lake but seem to mostly go where the ground just starts to drop off. I find the swampy areas the best since this provides the pickerel with alot of cover to be able to ambush other fish.

As for bait I have had luck with the same type gear as you used but I find the gulp alive leeches seem to catch me the most fish there.

There are also some nice smallmouth in the lake and they mostly tend to be in the area described by Shienar. I am going out today so I will let you know if I have any luck and in what areas of the lake.

Thanks for the inside tips!

Any chance you'd want to meet up some time next week/weekend and go for a fish there?
Posted Image

#6 Hardcore Angler

Hardcore Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

If you have a portable fish finder or an ice unit, it definately helps. If not then try positioning yourself off of main lake points, or back bays or coves right off of a point.

Areas with weeds are good as mentioned also as the hold forage fish and ambush points, but only if the weeds are still alive. The south facing north end of the lake probably gets the most sun and will hold the most amount of living weeds in the middle of winter.

I had pretty good luck last year on buck tail jigs in various colors. I had luck tipping them with salt pork believe it or not, but smelts would be a great choice as well and they are pretty easy to get at the grocery stores.

The gulps work pretty good too, but I think an unscented soft plastic like a mister twister would get ya bit more, if you tipped it with a little meat on the end.

#7 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

If you have a portable fish finder or an ice unit, it definately helps. If not then try positioning yourself off of main lake points, or back bays or coves right off of a point.

Areas with weeds are good as mentioned also as the hold forage fish and ambush points, but only if the weeds are still alive. The south facing north end of the lake probably gets the most sun and will hold the most amount of living weeds in the middle of winter.

I had pretty good luck last year on buck tail jigs in various colors. I had luck tipping them with salt pork believe it or not, but smelts would be a great choice as well and they are pretty easy to get at the grocery stores.

The gulps work pretty good too, but I think an unscented soft plastic like a mister twister would get ya bit more, if you tipped it with a little meat on the end.

Thanks, this lake is not too far from my cottage so I will have plenty of chances to try all of these tips haha.. and I've been wanting to pick up some salt pork for myself lately so that gives me an excuse!
Posted Image

#8 Spastic Caster

Spastic Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationCanada's Ocean Playground

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Howdy Folks,

I agree, Gulp Alive Leeches work all year round for pickerel. I just got myself an 8" borer but cannot find ice rods. I am told everywhere I go that the season is over :(. I was hoping to start my ice fishing career this year on account of the fact I regularly get withdrawl headaches from not fishing this time of year.

James

Thinking of Buying or Selling Real Estate? I am an expert in negotiating real estate transactions for my clients. If you have any questions, call me any time at 902.449.2029 and I will get you on the right track.

#9 Shienar

Shienar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Howdy Folks,

I agree, Gulp Alive Leeches work all year round for pickerel. I just got myself an 8" borer but cannot find ice rods. I am told everywhere I go that the season is over :(. I was hoping to start my ice fishing career this year on account of the fact I regularly get withdrawl headaches from not fishing this time of year.

James

where are you located
ctc in dartmouth crossing had tons of ice gear last time i was there
and princes auto had a couple rods too
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 trouter

trouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationColchester County

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Billy;

I planned on going out on Sunday the 13th with a buddy of mine. Not sure what time but you are definetly welcome to fish with us(the more lines in the water the better our chnaces)

I went out yesterday and landed 4 in the 4-8" range and had one bigger one shake off the hook just as I brought him up through the hole. I did however seem to lose my auger(used a crowbar to smash open exisiting holes) The only thing I can think is it may have bounced out of the back of my truck. Taking a drive shortly to see if I can find it.

Anyway just let me know of youre interested in meeting up and im sure we can land some.

#11 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

Billy;

I planned on going out on Sunday the 13th with a buddy of mine. Not sure what time but you are definetly welcome to fish with us(the more lines in the water the better our chnaces)

I went out yesterday and landed 4 in the 4-8" range and had one bigger one shake off the hook just as I brought him up through the hole. I did however seem to lose my auger(used a crowbar to smash open exisiting holes) The only thing I can think is it may have bounced out of the back of my truck. Taking a drive shortly to see if I can find it.

Anyway just let me know of youre interested in meeting up and im sure we can land some.

Sounds good, mind if I also bring a friend?

I'll PM you my contact info.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users