Limited Areas To Fish For Salmon - Page 2 - Salmon Fishing - Nova Scotia Fishing

Photo

Limited Areas To Fish For Salmon

Salmon season area

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

Buy the gear and enjoy the sport.....nothing like hookin a big olefall hawg.....and getting the fall senry in to boot .

#22 nsvalley

nsvalley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationkings county

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

just an observations to what could be a major reason why so many areas are closed. Consider this , when was the last time you heard of someone being charged for poaching in NS? I always hear of successful poaching charges  from NFLD http://www.asf.ca/mo...ing-in-nl.html & occasionally NB but when was the last time anyone heard of  a N Scotian being charged ? Must be  a smarter poacher living here .

#23 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Cant poach it if its not here.....open pen aquaculture killed our salmon stocks . I will go as far as saying it is probably the reason for the cod collapse as well. Everything was gone in the early 90's....open pens were put in in the mid 80's . Our North Shore salmon get slaughtered by natives with nets,spears and their

traditional jigging , then their are the ones in Greenland netting  and then you have   the  ones who tag their grilse, and the poaching from whitey in the spring and fall . The only difference with the ones on the North shore is there is no open penn sites there . But the salmon are still surviving with all the odds stacked against them . NfLD has so many poachers it will blow your mind . That's why they catch them cause there is so much of it going on . Sad really . Oh yeah on the West coast of NfLDthere is Conn River . It is in dire  straights and there is no season for salmon there.....but it is the only river on that side that has a open net fin fish farm......weird eh?

#24 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Don't think aquaculture killed the cod stocks,sorry...More like the foreign fishing fleet.Remember premier Tobin and what he fought for? Also our on dragger fleet done a pretty good number on them.
Prime example of our draggers destroying fish stocks is when they had to stop dragging baby halibut and calling them flounders....After a decade or so of protecting one species, like halibut, there is the most healthy population of them that there has been in over 100 years.

#25 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Don't think aquaculture killed the cod stocks,sorry...More like the foreign fishing fleet.Remember premier Tobin and what he fought for? Also our on dragger fleet done a pretty good number on them.
Prime example of our draggers destroying fish stocks is when they had to stop dragging baby halibut and calling them flounders....After a decade or so of protecting one species, like halibut, there is the most healthy population of them that there has been in over 100 years.

There is also a number of respected Biologists who have no vested interest in either side of the debate that have stated, one on this very site, that there is no scientific evidence to support one way or the other that aquaculture has done any harm to Salmon Population. I seem to recall the decline in Salmon in NS began long before the influx of major Salmon aquaculture as well. Of all the other possibilities that surround the Salmon's decline this is the one thumped the hardest, perhaps because it is the easiest? Me I think changing water temps, at sea and in the fresh waters might be a bigger concern. But hey what do I know.
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#26 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'm no scientists either, but have spent my life on the ocean and have seen a few changes and what seems to help or hurt our stocks over the years
I just don't think fish farms would affect cod stocks on George's bank or the grand banks....Probably has more to do with what's happening on land.....poaching, pollution,water temps and our acidic rivers.Salmon stocks I mean.

#27 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm no scientists either, but have spent my life on the ocean and have seen a few changes and what seems to help or hurt our stocks over the years
I just don't think fish farms would affect cod stocks on George's bank or the grand banks....Probably has more to do with what's happening on land.....poaching, pollution,water temps and our acidic rivers.Salmon stocks I mean.

Yup agreed. My entire family, on one side are all ex Commercial Fishers , Lunenburg primarily as well as Riverport, I as well have time on a scalloper and many many years in the Navy. I can say, without question, that waters they are a changing. Our Fresh waters, where salmon spawn, are in many cases devastated by Forestry and more recently invasives. Perhaps those that are looking for reasons may well be looking under the wrong rock?
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#28 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Guest why have not all the salmon vanished from the North Shores???

Like they did in the Bay of Fundy where the waters are at neer perfect condition for spawning salmon .

Why do the speckles and browns flurrish in the Stewiacke and other Inner Bay of Fundy rivers . Because the fry don't have to swim past the infested waters .

The salmon farms kill salmon fry by sealice .Its the same as a barn and flys , flys carry  disease as well as sealice does . Trout are more sensitive then salmon so I will have to call bull chit. For decades your generation has been screaming all these problems on the decline of the salmon and could never figure it out . Well science is saying that it is open pen farms that are the major factor in the fall of the salmon stocks . I will go with science on this one .  

I wonder if cod can contract ISA virus or not ?

#29 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

Guest why have not all the salmon vanished from the North Shores???
 Like they did in the Bay of Fundy where the waters are at neer perfect condition for spawning salmon .
   Why do the speckles and browns flurrish in the Stewiacke and other Inner Bay of Fundy rivers . Because the fry don't have to swim past the infested waters .

The salmon farms kill salmon fry by sealice .Its the same as a barn and flys , flys carry  disease as well as sealice does . Trout are more sensitive then salmon so I will have to call bull chit. For decades your generation has been screaming all these problems on the decline of the salmon and could never figure it out . Well science is saying that it is open pen farms that are the major factor in the fall of the salmon stocks . I will go with science on this one .  

I wonder if cod can contract ISA virus or not ?

Do not know SS, only know what I read. Some Biologist's tend to differ with their thought regarding the science, this when we place both extreme sides of points of views to the side. If you are calling BS on this, you are not calling it on me, you are calling it on the Adults, whom are far more scientifically educated then I. Why are Salmon on the decline in NB, lot of Forestry up that way too. To simply blame one reason for the decline is certainly turning a blind eye to other , more realist possibilities.
When did open pen Salmon Farming take hold here, what year? When did Salmon begin their decline, what year, when did Forestry, as we now know it start with the massive clearcuts, handy to the headwaters of major Salmon rivers, what year? I know that these questions are not able to be answered with exactness, however I do know that Foresrry became huge operationally, late 80's early 90's and has never stopped. I think most who frequent the backwoods are aware that Forestry effects water tables, water depths and water temps, these are rather obvious after an operation has left. Like I said before I do not know enough open Salmon Farming to be accurate, but I think those Biologist's who are not employed in either side might be. Perhaps Salmon Farming is the reason, but, what if it is not and all the effort is being misguided.
Then throw in Pike, Bass and those non native Browns and Bows in traditional Salmon Spawning systems......recipe for total disaster. I only know what I read, I read way to many different perspectives on this single issue to be comfortable with making an educated conclusion that it is totally correlated to Salmon farming.

Edited!!!!

#30 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

gone

#31 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

The truth and the only truth is SALMON ARE F*CK"D AND ARE NEVER GOING TO REBOUND, COME BACK, RECOVER....too late to argue about the causes now its a done deal....and Gary I can almost assure you that the North shore rivers will be screwed as well this year , just look at NB , PQ ....etc etc  its over and done

#32 Stradicman

Stradicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationPictou Co.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Agree with LSF,I live beside and fish a north shore river and salmon have been on a steady decline since the late 80's.Pool's that used to be full of fall salmon now have anywhere from 4 or 2 fish by the end of October.I still buy my salmon license in sept but never expect to catch a fish now I just like to be on a river in the fall and I usually catch a trout while salmon fishing.Not sure what caused the lack of fish but water level's are lower and warmer then when the river I fish had a healthy salmon population.I don't believe for one minute salmon stock's will rebound.HOPE IM WRONG!

#33 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Only too late Mike if you give up . My rivers are to late but the Gulf has a chance ....slight one but a chance .

Salmon farms are the number one decline today . Our PH levels are near perfect for fish survival . We have high levels of aluminum in parts of the stewy but its probably a beer can laying around on the bottom . Look at the shad, stripers in the system as well ....they are doing well . ISA virus was in the Bay of Fundy in 1989....Cookes slaughtered 8,000,000 farmed salmon then ....1992 was our last season on these rivers .

#34 nsvalley

nsvalley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationkings county

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

There is also a number of respected Biologists who have no vested interest in either side of the debate that have stated, one on this very site, that there is no scientific evidence to support one way or the other that aquaculture has done any harm to Salmon Population. I seem to recall the decline in Salmon in NS began long before the influx of major Salmon aquaculture as well. Of all the other possibilities that surround the Salmon's decline this is the one thumped the hardest, perhaps because it is the easiest? Me I think changing water temps, at sea and in the fresh waters might be a bigger concern. But hey what do I know.

sorry guest but i've been around long enough to believe if a political animal walk the walk and talks the talk it's likely political spin their obligated to say. for my money give me a consensus of 5 fishermen with  30 yrs of fishing experiences i'll go with their opinion every time . not to slight to the scientists but  come on their working for a pension. but thats truly is a matter of debate . what isn't a matter of debate is this... name me "one" area in the world where native salmon stocks have increased after the introduction of salmon farms aquaculture.  its the shortest list in the world. anecdotal evidence... you bet it is! but name me one promise aquaculture kept... including the argument was it would take the pressure off wild  stock and allow them to rebuild . spin spin spin!!

#35 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

The truth and the only truth is SALMON ARE F*CK"D AND ARE NEVER GOING TO REBOUND, COME BACK, RECOVER....too late to argue about the causes now its a done deal....and Gary I can almost assure you that the North shore rivers will be screwed as well this year , just look at NB , PQ ....etc etc  its over and done

sadly I couldnt agree more.

I havent replaced my salmon rod after breaking it last fall and I dont think I will.   I just cant justify fishing for them anymore. This is my own personal choice based on the things I have seen since coming home.

Fact is the Margaree is all but dead. I believe in the death by 1000 cuts but in the margarees case the simple fact that the ENTIRE watershed, headwaters and all ,has been and continues to be clear cut hasto play a big part into the change. This winter we had tons of snow here. 20-30 ft in some spots. but the margaree ran off in roughly two weeks tops. I remember mid summer needing waders when i was young cuz the water was still numbingly cold. i checked in 3 different spots  last week. estuary, mid river, and headwaters and all 3 were 60 degrees +.  

For anyone who knows the spot" cape clear" should now be called "cape clear cut"

not to mention that for close to the past two months trailers full of water have been taken out of the SW margaree everyday to the tune of roughly 10 a day. a huge amount of water at the worst time of year, from a heritage river we apparently love so much and cherish so much. Just to irrigate the new tax dollar built ,BS golf course.

I wouldnt of come home to die if I hadda know things were so dead here....

This place is F**ked. Instead of changing anything we paid millions for a report that called for change and instead go even farther down the wrong road.

For the record not only is most of the highlands cut but they have actually cut into the park in one spot with no repercussions.    

#36 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

We had a great week end on the Margaree when we went up ...5 fish hooked between 6 of us in 3days ....the third week of June , which is just the start of the run . But the fish will not come in unless there is water . Margaree has a everything going for it like the hatchery , the only down fall is it being a heritage river because that stops any work to be done on it by the local groups . Go to NfLD where there are literally thousands of fish in a pool and you still may not catch one .....if the conditions are not right .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users