35 replies to this topic

#1 Brocour

Brocour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

I thought i would take up salmon fly fishing this year.  First step is to buy a new fly rod that is at least 8wt.  I started to look online as to when and where i am allowed to fish and was surprised to see the official posting stating areas 20,21 and 22 are closed to salmon fishing all year...from jan1 to dec 31.  These areas include all of eastern shore, south shore and pretty much anything west of Halifax.  Only 2 areas they are times for salmon fishing and they are the north shore and Cape Breton regions.

http://novascotia.ca...asons2014-e.pdf

Is this normal to not be allowed to ever fish for salmon in 4/5th of our province or is this year a one off?  I kept  hearing about how fishing by Bridgewater is world famous and other areas close to me (eastern shore) are well known like Salmon River for one.

Confused,

Brocour

#2 marquisfly

marquisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

It's quite true that we have very limited waters to fish for salmon. I have been salmon fishing for over forty years and have pretty much given it up to target other species. I take one annual trip in the fall and that is about it for me. As for fishing the Margaree bring your own rock it gets pretty crowded. If I were to consider taking up salmon fishing now as a newbie I probably wouldn't. With the only place being in Cape Breton the expense to travel and stay to fish can be the cost of your gear for one weekend. Tough choice to make for a species that is on the downhill slide. On the other hand it is quite exciting when you hook one and you will never forget it. We do have the north shore rivers in the fall which I enjoy but still the numbers of fish are declining every year on these rivers. I am sure I will see salmon fishing become just a memory for most in my time.

#3 dreamwaters

dreamwaters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

This is a much longer story than I am willing to type, but in short, the answer is that no, this is not just this year. It's been like that for a while, and is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future. Sorry, but your newfound interest in salmon fishing is unlikely to be very productive unless you're willing to travel and put in a lot of time. You can still buy the 8 weight, but if I were you did be stocking up on striper flies, not salmon flies. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but once you start doing a little bit of research you will quickly discover that the plight of Atlantic salmon throughout much of their range, and Nova Scotia in particular, paints a depressing picture.
Dave

#4 trutta

trutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

I think that pretty well sums it up Dave. It makes me sick just thinking about it. 

#5 zymtoot

zymtoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

Yup although there is very limited water and times to fish for salmon, there is NOTHING that compares to hooking an Atlantic salmon on the fly. I say buy the gear, fish when you can, enjoy it and you wont be disappointed.Some areas only have a Month or two long salmon season but trust me its worth the time, effort, money to fish for these magical creatures.

#6 Brocour

Brocour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for verifying that i read the restrictions right and that i wasn't reading a posting online from 1914...you know...when the internet was in its early stages   :P

I now live on the norther part of Porters Lake as of last fall and find this lake a tough one to catch fish on.  I heard that the sea trout are coming in right about now so i hope to catch them one evening.  

Thanks for all the replies once again!

Brocour

#7 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

gone

#8 Fred Dupey

Fred Dupey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

I thought i would take up salmon fly fishing this year.  First step is to buy a new fly rod that is at least 8wt.  I started to look online as to when and where i am allowed to fish and was surprised to see the official posting stating areas 20,21 and 22 are closed to salmon fishing all year...from jan1 to dec 31.  These areas include all of eastern shore, south shore and pretty much anything west of Halifax.  Only 2 areas they are times for salmon fishing and they are the north shore and Cape Breton regions.

Hi Brocour

After 5-6 years of serious trout fishing, I started salmon fishing last year, there is nothing like it but the activity is a bit different, it is essentially a full day or multi day affair. Compared to other provinces it is inexpensive to fish salmon as a NS resident. You do not need to go as far as cape Breton.

Unfortunately the south shore is completely gone, the introduction of small mouth bass and pickerel have killed those rivers.

I encourage you to use barbless hooks and to go to the Atlantic salmon federation site to view there video on how to successfully release a salmon. Even tough you are allowed to keep 2 small salmon, I encourage 100% release off salmon.

If you decide to start salmon fishing, send me a pm in late august and I will tell you where to go.

As other people mentioned an 8 wt is also great for stripper fishing.

#9 LSF

LSF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Also consider the May, June, early July action of the 'Poor Man's Salmon', or better known as the American Shad.  ;) It doesn't require a special secondary license to fish, as salmon do.

not even close to being the same thing Trav

#10 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

gone

#11 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Thought I'd throw this at you....
A lot of fishermen are unaware of this, but sport fishing halibut might be a new option for you...The halibut population has and is exploding in our waters now...They are being caught in areas close to shore now.....100% catch and release though....There have been more and more reports of halibut being caught even from wharves in s.w. nova scotia , or very close to land.
I haven't caught a salmon but have caught every other kind of fish either sport or commercial, and I gaurentee you one thing.....you will have the fight of your life with any size halibut......whether its 5 lbs or 300lbs.

#12 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thought I'd throw this at you....
A lot of fishermen are unaware of this, but sport fishing halibut might be a new option for you...The halibut population has and is exploding in our waters now...They are being caught in areas close to shore now.....100% catch and release though....There have been more and more reports of halibut being caught even from wharves in s.w. nova scotia , or very close to land.
I haven't caught a salmon but have caught every other kind of fish either sport or commercial, and I gaurentee you one thing.....you will have the fight of your life with any size halibut......whether its 5 lbs or 300lbs.

you're right captain.

Caught a 50 lber on a hand line once.

He or she wanted to stay on bottom!

A fine fish

Paul

#13 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

I've caught a few on a handline also...Can you imagine on a fishing rod!?....I haven't personally caught one on a rod,but I have a friend who goes in a large outboard catching them with rods,commercially.

#14 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Lived on the Charlottes, an island off the mainland of BC for a couple years back in the 90's. Caught them regularly with a rod, (100 feet of water or better) the rod which still hangs here in NS  in my garage. Massively strong fish...beyond most folks belief. Some fish I caught hung off all four sides of a big picnick table prior to filleting. Thickness of these monsters was impressive. Salmon were every ones preference, cept for me, Halibut is what I went after, I caught likely dozens or more in my time there.

Best place I ever lived, regarding the outdoors.

I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#15 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

That's my dream vacation....fishing for halibut and salmon from b.c. to Alaska.
I've caught lots and lots if halibut but it was either on trawl or once in awhile on a handline,in the past...Biggest one we've caught was around 300 lbs.Problem now ,if you hooked a halibut,is getting it up before the greyseals tear it from you.....those bugger's are killing 1000's....never heard tell of it happening a few years ago

#16 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I lived that dream, and was paid to be there. LOL. Halibut, Salmon, Sea Run Dolly Varden and Cut Throat trout, 5 lbs and better were common, Dungenous crab, so many types of clams it would amaze you. Scallops that washed up on the beach, by the hundreds in wind, Deer Ten a year, 9 month long seasons, the biggest Black Bears in the world, Rain forests that are real. Steelhead in the winter at 20 lbs...I can go on....what a hell of a place.

I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#17 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Guide?

#18 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Not a Guide, (was Military at the time), if that is what you mean? Just was fortunate to have been/ lived there. I could easily Guide there, although I hold no certifcates. hope this answers your question?

#19 fishingcaptain

fishingcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationn.s.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

You were lucky to live and play there.....why the heck did you move....lol.....although I wouldn't live anywhere else but N.S.!.....lots if fish and game here,,,,you just need to be better at it and aware its all here.

#20 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Why did i move, LOL, at that time the options were not in my favor, get posted when and where they tell you or get out. Being a NS boy they offered me Greenwood, so away i went. Still did not have enough time to get out then.

PS I do agree that there is lots of fish and game here too, I am never bored in Trout Season and shoot a Deer every year, along with lots of small game.

Still nothing will ever come close to what was out there....not anywhere that i have ever been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users